Sunday, December 12, 2010

Change can be good right?

Instances where change is good:

  1. When your husband comes home after three months of working out of state.
  2. When you find a new song or artist that rocks your world.
  3. Making new friends or strengthening relationships with old ones.
  4. Taking chances (I'm going skiing for the first time ever in a little over a week. I know it won't be easy, but I am really excited anyway)
  5. The end of a semester!
  6. Bangs (see photo -->)
  7. Switching my blog from blogspot to wordpress. I have started the switch already, and I will let you know when the switch official.
Instances where change is bad:
  1. Online education. It's just a horrible idea.
  2. Winter--Okay, okay, Rexburg, I know I'm way too hard on you, but you make yourself an easy target.
  3. The beginning of a semester--It always takes some time to ease into the course with a whole new set of students.
Jeff and I were talking about how I handle change in relation to this current event: we got a new oversized clock for our front room because our other one is broken. I was really excited to get a new clock, but when I got it, even though I picked it out, I was a little let down. I had a hard time with it at first. I tried not to think about it too much because I wasn't sure if I made the right choice. BUT after a few days, I am in love! I am really pleased with it and so grateful that my parents bought it for us for Christmas. What a great gift that we can enjoy for years and years.

I recall another example of how weird I am when it comes to change. When I was in high school, I really wanted to paint my room. It was still the original white from when we had moved in when I was in elementary school. I even went to the store with my dad and looked at color swatches. We both liked the idea of a pretty, pastel yellow. We talked about it a little bit more but eventually the urgency of the issue sort of died down. But on my birthday of that year I came home to my bedroom freshly painted yellow as a surprise! My dad had taken the day off of work to paint my room! Okay, I know my dad is the sweetest, and I love him very much, but that's what made this surprise even harder for me to deal with. The minute I saw the room, my heart sank. I didn't like how it looked at all. My dad was so sweet and thoughtful, but I couldn't change how I felt and I had a hard time faking my true emotions. I tried to pretend that I loved it, but my dad saw right through the act. When I realized this, I could not stop crying and apologizing. I felt powerless. It was such a sad situation. But just like my experience with the clock, it took me a few days to get used to it and once I did, I loved it and was really excited to have my room finally feel more like "me." 

Are any of you like this?

Fortunately and clearly, my list shows more positives than negatives which is really a sign of progress for me. I don't try to be a pessimist, I promise. I'm just always the "little girl with the cloud over her head." I guess I just overanalyze and let silly things get to me even when I know I shouldn't. Oh and by the way, thanks for giving me a complex, Mrs. Kindergarten Teacher.

6 comments:

Jessica Tingey said...

oh no, don't put online education on your hate list. i'm already questioning my decision... :)

C'est La Vie said...

i LOVE online education sooo much more...esspecially abroad of course :)
but look at you! you look SO different with the blond and the bangs, much younger i should add! very nice

Nathan and Colette said...

I like your hair!! Never would have thought as you as a blond but it looks nice!

Melissa Wilson said...

Online education is the best! Are you kidding!? I like to get to the point, so I guess that's why I like it! I know you love all the discussion and whatnot of face-to-face class...there are some wonderful benefits that's for sure, but it certainly isn't for everyone!

Levi and Katie Hansen said...

Love, Love, Love, your pretty long blonde hair! It looks great! Oh, and the post was good too:)

Levi thought of doing an online grad degree but is going to bite the bullet and do it at a University. I am sorry you dislike it soo much...at least your almost done?:)

Penny said...

you look so sweet! looking at the positive, a great sign! love you, don't break your leg!